Friday, February 10, 2006

1/26/2006

This is the seventh part in my Guatemalan series. Click here for parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Fog over Chichicastenango Today was a half day, and the last day we work. This week has flown by. I worked dental again today, where I could be more useful, but since we were all in one big room, the other docs could call me over to observe interesting cases - one woman with advanced shingles (herpes zoster), and a man with chronic pulmonary disease who presented with clubbing of the fingers. I was able to recognize the same symptoms in another man who sat down for dental, and Kerbey confirmed it. Unfortunately not much could be done at our little makeshift clinic, but it felt good to help diagnose. I've just said goodbye to the three giggleboxes - Carmen, Anamaria and Christina (pictured left to right above). They got such a kick out of calling out my name, which apparently means "little maiden" in Quiche. - - I just met Rosa and Elena; Rosa is Anamaria's little sister. Rosa is 14 and Ana is 16, which is hard to believe, given that Rosa looks more like 10. Elena has a pair of brand new shoes from Mary Ann (the lawyer from Minnesota with us). Next time: Lake Atitlan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home