Saturday, December 03, 2005

DB’s Medical Rants - On doctoring

DB should be directing the AAMC:
First, we should change the premed curriculum. For too long we have emphasized courses which do not have great relevance to being a physician. The reliance on organic chemistry is absolutely idiotic.
That's what I was thinking the entire time I was learning it, but I thought I was just lacking some sort of hindsight or wisdom or something. Turns out, I could have been right. He continues:
Second, we should change our admission criteria. Many schools do consider students who have a broader background. I love having students who majored in English, or Philosophy.
I almost wish I had been a lit or philosophy major instead of business. I always had a great inclination towards the liberal arts, but chose business for practical reasons ("liberal arts majors don't get jobs"). Now that I'm back taking my premeds, I wonder if a more enriching intellectual experience would have served me better than the more, um... visceral exercise that was business school. It was a unique and valuable experience in itself, but probably not one I would have chosen if I had known the competing value of liberal arts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home